State and local ordinances require some types of businesses to be licensed. A restaurant, for example, may need clearance from the local fire department, sanitation department, board of alcoholic beverage control and others. New Hampshire requires licenses for businesses such as outdoor advertising, liquor stores, junkyards, lumberyards, lumber sales, electrical contracting and automobile dealerships. You should ask your town or city authorities and state authorities if you need a license for the type of business you intend to start and/or for the location you’ve chosen. Visit for more information on occupations that require licenses and businesses that require licensing.